Saturday, April 24, 2010

Almond Joy Bar

Happy Tuesday Ladies! Recently I have been trying to cut out processed food from our household and I think over all we have been doing a good job. For example we have stopped buying Pop-tarts, granola bars, and Oreos and my husband has been doing a great job at riding along. We are buying more fruit, veggies, and I am totally making more stuff from scratch. In my attempt to make more things from scratch I found these awesome snacks at the Nourishing Gourmet. They are Almond Joy Bars. Everything in them is clean and healthy but because of the coconut oil they pack a real calorie punch. I will make these again but I will be making them lower calorie so I am not hating myself all day and the next day. Everyone that has tried them has loved them. Also they are super easy to make and really take no time at all. Enjoy!


1 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut flakes (will get reduced fat next time)
1/2 cup of coconut oil
1/4 cup of honey
1 teaspoon almond extract
36 almonds, left whole or chopped (can even remove this to lower the calorie count or if you don't like almonds)
1-Melt the coconut oil and honey over low heat until just melted. Whisk to combine. Add the almond extract and coconut flakes.
2-Now take out your muffin tins (you will need a 12 compartment muffin tin). In each compartment, place three almonds, or divide the chopped almonds) Then, divide the coconut mixture, making sure you get an even mixture of coconut flakes and coconut oil. Place in a freezer (make sure it’s on a flat surface), and freeze until hard (about 30 minutes)
Now it’s time for the chocolate!
You will need(next time I will just melt semi sweet choc chips for this whole step-not totally clean but you win some and you lose some)
3/4 cup cocoa powder (not dutch cocoa)
1/4 cup of honey
1 cup coconut oil
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3-Combine these ingredients in a 2 cup glass measuring glass and place in a pot of simmering water. Heat until everything is just melted, and remove from heat. Whisk briskly
4-Take out the frozen coconut flakes mixture, and divide your chocolate mixture over it
5-Put back into your freezer, and freeze until hard (again, about 30 minutes). To get them out, simply slide a butter knife down one side, and pop it out. This is very easy to do, as long as you do it directly from your freezer.
keep them frozen, they melt fairly quickly
Linked up to Tasty Tuesday

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE Almond Joy candy bars so I will definitely have to give this a try. Looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this looks stellar!!! I love almond joy! I wonder if using dark chocolate would make it a Mounds? Because THAT is my favorite...

    Off to the kitchen! haha

    Stopping by from Tuesday Tastes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...looks really good! I'm a huge coconut fan!
    Rene'@bargainhoot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are really good, unfortunately they are addictive:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!